What we do
The Share Technology Program solicits computer and peripheral donations from the community, refurbishes them, and distributes them to local low-income families in the McLean area who would otherwise be unable to afford them.
- Over 300 free computers have been given to families who can’t afford to buy them
- Over 100 brand-new free printers have been distributed alongside computers for students and families to complete work
- $0 in monetary donations have been used to fund the program
- Thousands of volunteer hours have been contributed to the program
- The Technology Program has been helping Share families for seven years
- The Technology Program is operated entirely by high school student volunteers
- Student volunteers have learned invaluable business and information technology (IT) skills from volunteering
- Student volunteers from the Technology Program created and maintain this website
I need a computer
The Share Technology Program distributes laptops with Windows 10 to clients who receive service from any of Share’s programs on a regular basis. Each Share client is eligible for one computer from Share, however exceptions are possible for families based on certain circumstances. Please stop by the Food Pantry on any Wednesday or Saturday from 9:30 AM to 12:00 PM (Please check to make sure the next Wednesday or Saturday is not a Share closing) and speak with a volunteer to request a laptop.
My computer from Share is broken
The Share Technology Program offers a lifetime maintenance guarantee to all clients with computers distributed to them by the Share Technology Program. Computers not distributed by Share are not eligible for maintenance.
To know if your computer is from Share, it must have an identification number of AXXX, BXXX, or CXXX (Example: A010, B167, or C019).
- If your computer is a laptop, the identification number will look like BXXX (Example: B167). The identification number can be found as the computer name, written in the battery casing, on a piece of tape on the laptop, or under a barcode taped onto the laptop.
- If your computer is a desktop, the identification number will look like AXXX or CXXX (Example: A010 or C019). The identification number can be found as the computer name, written in the desktop casing, or on a piece of tape on the desktop.
If you have an eligible computer in need of repairs, please stop by the Food Pantry on any Wednesday or Saturday from 9:30 AM to 12:00 PM (Please check to make sure the next Wednesday or Saturday is not a Share closing) and speak with a volunteer to request computer maintenance.
I want to volunteer
The Share Technology Program relies on donations, which are then refurbished, configured, and distributed to families. Student volunteers are responsible for all program operations. Volunteering for the Share Technology Program is truly a phenomenal opportunity. The founder of the program just graduated college (in May 2015) and already landed a job in IT managing hundreds of users. One volunteer, now a student at RIT, did paid IT work in the community while in high school and a current volunteer does the same. The experience gained by volunteering at the Share Technology Program is extremely valuable. Recruiting for one new member will begin in January 2018.
What we look for in a volunteer
- High motivation
- Strong communication skills
- Leadership potential
- Computer repair skills (Comptia A+ level)
- Network creation and maintenance skills (Comptia Network+ level)
- Ability to commit at least three hours per week
If you are interested, please visit this page in January 2018 to fill out the application.
Questions? Feel free to contact us at email@example.com. We’d love to hear from you.
I want to donate
Donations we accept include:
- Any working or broken laptop originally shipped with Windows 7 or later
- Any Mac computer (desktop or laptop, regardless of condition and age)
- Flat-screen TV’s between 50 and 70 inches (in good condition please)
- Cables (VGA/DVI, Ethernet, power, etc.)
- Wireless networking cards and adapters
- Routers, switches, and other network components
- Computer components (e.g. video, sound, and network cards, memory, power supplies, etc.)
- Operating system and Microsoft Office installation/restore discs
- Hard drives (HDDs 120GB or larger and SSDs)
- Servers (originally shipped with Windows Server 2012 or later)
- Keyboards and mice (in good condition, please)
- If something is not listed but you would consider it suitable for donation to this program, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Unfortunately, we cannot accept:
- Windows Desktops
- CRT monitors
- LCD (flat-panel) monitors
- Any computer suffering from liquid damage
- CD/DVD (optical) drives
Unsure about a donation? Contact us at email@example.com.
How can I donate?
Please bring your donations to the McLean Baptist Church on any Wednesday or Saturday from 9:30am – 12pm (to check if we’re closed on a particular day, please click here to view our closing schedule for 2016). Here’s our address:
Share, Inc. / McLean Baptist Church
1367 Chain Bridge Rd.
McLean, VA 22101
Please use the Share entrance located on the side of the building. It’s to the left of the building from the main parking lot directly past the playground– a sidewalk leads you to it, and there are signs to direct you. One of our volunteers will be happy to accept it and provide you with a tax receipt. Thank you very much!
We understand your concerns about potentially sensitive data and information on donated computers’ hard drives. At the Share Technology Program, we take data security very seriously. All donated equipment is kept in a locked room under motion detection video surveillance. Computers are never booted up upon donation, and are instead formatted to DoD standards and the operating system (OS) is reinstalled, so none of the previous information on your computer remains. If a hard drive cannot be used (e.g. breaks or is too small in capacity), it is dismantled and destroyed in such a way to ensure that no recoverable data remains.
Have a question?
Email is the most effective way to talk with us. Please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d love to hear from you and will get back to you as soon as possible, typically within 24 hours.
Share Technology Program
1367 Chain Bridge Rd.
McLean, VA 22101