- Grape or strawberry jelly or jam
- White Sugar
- Baby Wipes
- White Rice
- Ground Coffee
- Black Tea
- Mayonnaise, mustard, and ketchup
- Cooking Oil
- Chunky Chicken Soups (only this kind)
- 100% Juice
- Bars of Soap
- Laundry Detergent
- Tuna Fish
- Queen and King sized sheets
- New adult & children’s underwear and t-shirts
- Pre-teen and teen clothing, especially sizes 11 and 12
Please bring your donations to Share located at McLean Baptist Church, 1367 Chain Bridge Rd., McLean, Virginia 22101. We are open for donations Wednesdays and Saturdays 9:30 am-noon.
How to Coordinate a Drive
1. Organize – Thank you for considering to hold a drive for Share! Please discuss your plans with the head of your organization. Pick the date(s) of the drive and when you will deliver goods to Share. Decide on a theme or target particular items, ex: cereal or towels. Once you have the details, please notify Share at least six weeks in advance of the delivery date. You can contact Share via this form:
A Share representative will be in contact with you within 10 days to coordinate the drive.
After communicating with a coordinator, you will receive a confirmation email that will include two dates: your food drive date and a donation drop off date. The donation drop off date will be scheduled on either Wednesdays or Saturdays, between the hours of 9:45-11:45 AM. A Share truck can be scheduled to pick up donations. Please ask the coordinator about this for more information.
Please review these delivery guidelines, as they help make our procedures run more efficiently.
etc). Unfortunately we are not able to accept glass containers, as they are a risk.
grocery bags are welcome. Giant’s organic milk and egg boxes are the perfect sizes. Contact your local Giant as they typically will save boxes for your pick up. Boxes from VA’s ABC
stores are good choices as well.
2. Publicize – Copy and put up Share Food Drive flyers where people can see them. Get the word out through newsletters, emails, web sites, Facebook, and other verbal and written announcements. Provide a list of the items to be collected. Once you choose a date to hold your Drive, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll help get word out about your drive!
3. Get Started – Provide collection boxes that are clearly marked. Send email reminders and updates during the drive encouraging people to bring in items. For theme ideas, see the list below:
Canstruction – Have a contest to build simple or elaborate sculptures using canned goods; then donate the cans.
TGIF (Take Groceries In Friday) – provide brown bags for employees/students to take home and fill with food or encourage them to bring a brown bag lunch and donate the money they would have spent on a lunch.
Bringing Up Baby – Request donations of disposable diapers, baby wipes, baby food, infant formula, etc.
Clean, Green Machine Request donations of laundry detergent, dish washing liquid, cleansers, scrub sponges, etc.
Challenges/Competitions – organize a contest between offices/divisions/classrooms/grades to see who can collect the most linens.
Events – have an event, party, or school production as part of the drive and charge “admission”. The admission price = a certain number of food and linens.
Hunger Walk, Run, Bike, or Dance-a-thon – have sponsors pledge food/linens instead of money
Wash Away Hunger—Hold a car wash to collect money to donate to Share.
4. After the Drive – Please have volunteers either deliver the items to Share or schedule a Share truck to pick up the items with the coordinator. We will be glad to provide a tax-deductible receipt. Thank key volunteers and all participants who donated.
Thank you for considering holding a drive for Share! We look forward to being in contact with you! Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have questions.